Ancient Churches of Ethiopia
Christianity was formally acknowledged by the Aksumite kings in the mid-4th century, making Ethiopia the second country in the world to adopt the new faith. Integrating historical, archaeological and artistic evidence, this book focuses on Ethiopian churches, both conventional buildings and those hewn from solid rock, to offer a fresh interpretation of the origins and exceptional continuity of the country’s Christian civilization.
England's Historic Churches by Train
A Companion Volume to England's Cathedrals by Train
In this companion volume to England’s Cathedrals by Train, Naylor visits 32 churches, including abbeys and priories as well as parish churches, each one chosen for a particularly interesting feature; whether the twisted spire of St Mary and All Saints, Chesterfield or the 1,000-year-old Bath Abbey, where England’s first king was crowned (and nearby, Brunel’s Box Tunnel).
The Story of The Jesuits' Church in London
When the Jesuits built their Church of the Immaculate Conception in Mayfair in the 1840s, Catholic worship was still a controversial topic in England, so the modest façade on a quiet side street gave little idea of the splendour within. This handsome book charts for the first time the heritage of a pioneering church that drew such eminent converts as Evelyn Waugh and Edith Sitwell, while commissioned photographs illustrate its magnificent decoration.
St Peter's, Cardross
Birth, Death and Renewal
The striking concrete structure of St Peter’s College has stood on a hill above the Scottish village of Cardross since the mid 1960s, but after the closure of the seminary in 1980 the building was abandoned to decay and vandalism. This book traces the evolution of the College’s innovative Modernist design and celebrates its recent rebirth as a cultural space. A section of colour photographs documents both the site’s dilapidation and the 2016 Hinterland event at which it was officially reopened.
Turkish Mosques & Tombs
At their peak in the 15th and 16th centuries, Ottoman architects created some of the most beautiful buildings in the world. The 125 photographs in this book offer breathtaking and surprising glimpses of some 20 mosques and tombs in Istanbul, Bursa and Edirne. Mary Cross charts the development of the Ottoman style, its unparalleled use of space, ornament and colour, and the role of the great architect Sinan and his pupils. A map, glossary and timeline of sultans are included.
The Anglo-Saxon Church of All Saints, Brixworth, Northamptonshire
Survey, Excavation and Analysis, 1972–2010
The church of All Saints at Brixworth, dating from the eighth century, is a building of outstanding importance and it has been the subject of archaeological study since 1972. This volume is the meticulously detailed report of that 40-year-long project.
The Chapel of St John the Baptist in the Church of São Roque
The Commission, The Building, The Collections
Commissioned by King John V of Portugal, the Chapel of St John the Baptist was built in Rome in 1747 before being dismantled and shipped to Lisbon, where it was reassembled in the church of São Roque. This comprehensive survey incorporates new research into the extraordinary circumstances of its design and construction, while its generous selection of colour photographs showcases the chapel’s architecture, statuary, metalwork and mosaics, alongside its rich collections of silverware, fabrics and antiquarian books.
Jewish Heritage in Britain and Ireland
An Architectural Guide
Britain’s tiny Jewish community is its longest-established religious minority and, since its readmission to the country in the 17th century, has created a rich architectural legacy of synagogues and charitable institutions. Illustrated in colour, this book remains the only comprehensive guide to such sites, from the ancient Jew’s House in Lincoln to London’s historic Bevis Marks Synagogue. It includes easy-to-follow heritage trails around former Jewish quarters, with full postcodes for satnav users.
Make a Joyful Noise
Renaissance Art and Music at Florence Cathedral
Luca della Robbia’s fine Cantoria – an organ loft and singers’ gallery – was installed in Florence Cathedral in 1438, opposite a similar structure by Donatello. The essays in this beautifully illustrated volume present analysis of details from the Cantoria’s carved reliefs depicting musicians, as well as research into the organs and choirbooks that were once used in the gallery. A postscript describes how this Renaissance masterpiece has been displayed in its new context at the Museo dell’Opera.
Discovering Churches and Churchyards
A Guide to the Architecture of English Parish Churches from Anglo-Saxon Times to 1900
Mark Child provides a concise, illustrated history of English ecclesiastical architecture from the earliest stone buildings of the Anglo-Saxon period to the end of the Victorian era. Off-mint.
An Architectural History
The Benedictine Abbey of Downside in Somerset is one of the glories of the Gothic Revival, its mighty tower a landmark for miles. Written by leading architectural historians including Gavin Stamp and Alan Powers, this handsome book traces the story of its creation from Pugin's conception to its completion by Giles Gilbert Scott. Richly illustrated with drawings, plans, archive photographs and dramatic new colour images, this study is both an architectural record and a celebration of an inspirational place.
Anglican Church-Building in London 1946–2012
After the Blitz devastated many of London's historic churches, some 250 new ones were built throughout the capital, mostly in the Modernist style. They have received little attention, and some have fallen into neglect or been demolished; but as this unique survey makes clear, many have considerable architectural merit. A general introduction is followed by a borough-by-borough gazetteer, with each entry illustrated by both an interior and exterior view. The book concludes with a list of architects and their work.
The Cave Church of Paul the Hermit
at the Monastery of St Paul, Egypt
The Coptic Monastery of St Paul grew up around the cave near the Red Sea where Paul, the first Christian hermit, lived in solitude. A shrine in late antiquity, the cave became a church in medieval times and was decorated with wall paintings in the 13th century. This richly illustrated volume records the work of the American Research Center in Egypt in conserving the paintings, and sets the Coptic art and architecture of the church in historical and spiritual context.
Louis C Tiffany and the Art of Devotion
Although better known for their stained-glass windows, Louis Comfort Tiffany and the Tiffany Studios created entire interior designs for many of America's leading congregations – Protestant, Catholic and Jewish – providing mosaics, floors and lighting in addition to objects such as altarpieces, pulpits, candlesticks, headstones, vestments and jewellery. Focusing on their church decorations and memorials, this lavish exhibition catalogue reproduces preliminary cartoons and sketches as well as archive photographs of finished pieces, many never before published.
The Villa Civilization in the Mainland Dominion
Until its conquest by Napoleon in 1797, Venice was not only a great maritime trading power, but controlled a substantial swath of the Italian mainland: the Veneto. After a general historical introduction, this magnificent volume takes the reader on a chronological tour of 28 of the lavish villas built by the city's patricians in Verona, Padua and other mainland cities. Lavishly illustrated with colour photographs, it offers an unparalleled overview of the evolution of art and architecture over five centuries.
The Creation of Gothic Architecture
An Illustrated Thesaurus: The Ark of God. Vol 1–2
Focused on Gothic buildings within the Paris Basin, but with occasional excursions, The Creation of Gothic Architecture aims to provide an overall chronology through the study of every available example of the various architectural elements, primarily using photographs, with commentaries, and supported by documents where they exist. Comprising Volumes 1 and 2, the first part of the study dates buildings between 1170 and 1250 using a single repeatable type of decoration – foliage – and drawing on 288 documents. No jacket.