The Caledonian Steam Packet Company
Available in Stock
The Caledonian Railway founded a steam packet company in 1889 operating from Gourock on the Clyde. It gradually acquired other steamer services along the west coast of Scotland between Girvan and Argyll, and after nationalization in 1948 also encompassed the Glasgow and South Western steamers and those of the North British Railway. This history tells the story of the company in a series of photographs and postcards, from its inception to its amalgamation in 1973 with the David MacBrayne fleet as CalMac.